Friday, January 15, 2010

the next couple days

So yesterday we went to red square and saw a bunch of stuff from afar. We went to see Lenin in his mausoleum. One of the guards yelled at me to take my hat off. That was interesting. But we spent the rest of the time hearing what all the basic landmarks of red sqaure meant and the history behind each piece. I came back and I found my roommate. Interesting fellow. It seems as if everyone here is more well read than me, and he would be the most well read out of all of us I would say, well most well read that isn't a lit major. Either way spent the rest of the day orienting. Today we went to Pushkin square and saw some scenery that is the start of the novel, Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Honestly I'm not much for Russian literature, and I suppose I'll be glad i went to these places after I learn all this Russian literature. I tried to be as traditional Russian as I could with my meal. I had borshch, some fish thingy and drank kvas with it. Kvas is an interesting drink, I can see why people dislike it, but I think it's rather good. After that we walked down some massive storefront walkway but I was tired and didn't really go into any stores. I'm having fun, still figure stuff out, and still trying to meet with a few friends here.

1 comment: